Pages

Sunday 24 February 2019

Sunday Stamps A-Z - A4 USA, Australia

To begin our 4th round of A-Z I've chosen the 100th anniversary of the American Institute of Architects.

USA - 23 February 1957
The stamp depicts a Corinthian capital. Corinthian is the last developed  of three classical orders of ancient Greek and Roman architecture. The style is characterised by slender fluted columns and elaborate capitals decorated with ancient leaves and scrolls.

In recent rounds of A-Z I've tried to avoid the names of countries to matching the week's letter. However for Aboriginal Art I had to pick - 


Australia - August 2002
International Personalised Post
This is 'Puia' by Tommy May (Ngarralja). For more information on the artist visit Tommy May (Ngarralja).

To see a splendid Canadian stamp and find links to the 'A' related stamps please visit Sunday-stamps-a. and follow the links in the comments by participants.

4 comments:

Joy said...

I like the contrast between the two stamps and yet the similarities of ornate capitol and swirling centre of the the Australian art.

FinnBadger said...

Great stamp s for today, with lots of As. Love the aboriginal art stamp.

violet s said...

I like the pink of the architect stamp - the Aboriginal stamp looks quite jarring in contrast. I wish I understood his art better.

Mail Adventures said...

The first stamp is a fine classical one, but I also love the vivid art on the second.