Pages

Sunday 30 December 2018

Sunday Stamps - S3 - Great Britain

Thanks to the Royal Mail's slip-up I have a new 'S' this week.

Sarmi, in the Dutch New Guinea (now Indonesia) was where American troops landed on 17 May 1945.

The Royal Mail issued a preview of stamps for 2019 intended to depict the D-Day landing of Allied troops in France on 6 June 1944.

Unfortunately this was the Americans landing at Sarmi!

{I wonder whether any of these stamps will ever be on the market}

It was plain sailing for  my other stamps this week.

Great Britain - 11 June 1975 - Sailing Dinghies
Later that year (13 August) the Royal Mail commemorated the 150th Anniversary of Public Railways; the set included - 


I included all trains in the set when explaining the connection between my local town and the start of the Stockton & Darlington Railway here.

Meanwhile for more 'S' stamps check out the links at Sunday-stamps-s.

4 comments:

FinnBadger said...

Great story about the mistake. I am assuming there won't be any of those stamps made/released. Seems like an unusual error for Royal Mail?

Love the colors on the sailing stamp.

Joy said...

I seem to remember they had problems with a previous Arctic Convoys stamps as well. Somebody said that they thought it would have been harder to find a photo of the Americans landing in Sarmi than D Day landings photograph. Makes me think they think it is just easy to dash off some photographs without any thought. Oh for the designs of past eras like your other stamps.

Mail Adventures said...

I had read about this stamp on Twitter, and I couldn't believe it. Royal Mail replied that the stamps aren't printed yet, so they are going to fix the mistake. I hope so!

violet s said...

Such screw ups seem to be more common than you'd expect!
The railways set has some fine detail.