Pages

Sunday 23 December 2018

Christmas 2018 on Sunday Stamps - Great Britain

It has been a disappointing year so far for Christmas stamps. I've only seen two and none from overseas so far. 

Despite the Royal Mail showing postbox scenes these are the only two that have graced our letter box among last year's stamps and definitive 2nd class.

I have had to go back as far as 1967 to find a set that I haven't shown before.


You have to have the eyes of a hawk to see the Queen's head on these.

From left to right, they depict: 

  • The Adoration of the Shepherds' (School of Seville)
  • The Adoration of the Shepherds' (Louis le Nain)
  • Madonna and Child (Murillo)
Merry Christmas greetings to all who read my blog and especially to those who participate in Sunday Stamps where if you visit The Sunday Stamps Christmas you will find other stamps to admire.

5 comments:

FinnBadger said...

I like this year's set from Royal Mail a lot.

The set from 1967 has aged really well - if you ignore the fact that the price is in 'old' money, these could have been issued recently.

Although I sent out more cards than usual, I received fewer than last year, and most of them had the generic flag stamp on them.

I hope you and your family have a great Christmas!

Mail Adventures said...

Nice to see these old stamps (but new to me). The UK stamps this year are winners!

I wish you Happy Holidays, and a Happy New Year.

violet s said...

I should receive four cards from the UK - sadly the two I've gotten so far have the same stamp!
I rather like that the Queen's head blends in to the background and doesn't distract from the paintings.

Joy said...

I'm enjoying this year's GB stamps coming through the letterbox. I like the large scale of the '67 ones

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Bob, I enjoyed the stamps that you posted! I just wanted to stop by and say Happy New Year. I am visiting my blog friends today; hope all is well with you and your family. ~ Kathy M.