Pages

Sunday 16 December 2018

Sunday Stamps R3 - USA

I've posted stamps of Pulitzer Prize winners before (Margaret Mitchell, Theodore Roethke) but when I saw this stamp I wondered what Joseph Pulitzer would make of the Press and social media today.
USA - 10 April 1947
I was forced to check out more about the man at Pulitzer biography. Well worth reading.

When it comes to words beginning with 'P', phthisiologist was new to me.
USA -12 May 2008
Phthisiology covers the care and treatment of tuberculosis in the lung and is a special area of pulmonology. The Greek for phthisis designated by Hippocrates means "consumption".

Edward Trudeau, the man on the stamps, established the first laboratory in the US for the study of TB.

A legend of a different kind is the man who starred as Atticus Finch.
USA - 28 April 2011
To Kill a Mockingbird won a Pulitzer Prize for Harper Lee in 1961.

For the 'P' related stamps please visit Sunday-stamps-r

3 comments:

Joy said...

I'd never read about the man who the Pulitzer is name after, fascinating reading.

FinnBadger said...

Great stamps here. The 3c one makes w=me very concerned for the future of US democracy - feels like the country is in a bad place right now. Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned back on soon!

Mail Adventures said...

Thanks for attracting my attention to Pulitzer.