Pages

Sunday 14 October 2018

Sunday Stamps - I3 Czechoslovakia, Great Britain

A scarce swallowtail butterfly is my first stamp this week.
Czechoslovakia - 23 May 1966
Iphiclides 
podalirius
Other names for iphiclides podalirius are sail swallowtail and pear tree swallowtail.

1978 was the year for the 25th Anniversary of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth when she was crowned with the - 
Great Britain - 31 May 1978
Imperial State Crown
The Queen also wears this crown at the annual State Opening of Parliament.

In 1841 Sir Richard Owen coined the word dinosaur from two Greek words - deinos (terrible, powerful, wondrous) and sauros (lizard). Owen was also responsible for setting up what we now know as the Natural History Museum.
Great Britain - 20 August 1991
150th Anniversary of Owen's Dinosaurs
Iguanodon
For other 'I' stamps check out the links at Sunday-Stamps-i.





6 comments:

FinnBadger said...

Three impressive Is, Bob. I like the dinosaur the best of the 3.

Joy said...

I like the man and iguanodon outline, hope its a herbivore.

Maria said...

Love all the information from these stamps with the letter "i".

violet s said...

I have several of those dinosaur PHQs - love them :)
Latin names are good to know, but I much prefer the English names!

Mail Adventures said...

As usual, you find the most interesting connections between the letter and the stamps. Same as Phillip, I think the iguanodon is impressive.

agi said...

a great selection as usual. love seeing the swallowtail on a stamp, always a joy to see them in real life too