Pages

Sunday 28 October 2018

Sunday Stamps K3 - Canada, Hungary, Netherlands

I've watched the Detroit Pistons (once, when my camera's battery needed charging) and am kept informed every year on how the Detroit Lions are performing. Of course I've heard of the Stanley Cup and how the Redwings get on and whom this man on a Canadian stamp joined when he was only 19 years old back in 1947.

Canada - 3 October 2014
Apparently we became one of the 'Original Six' in ice hockey - I have still to find out who the others are and what's behind the name.

When it comes to protected birds this is one of my favourites and one I used to see regularly as a boy about the time that Red Kelly began to play for the Redwings.

Hungary - 27 June 1991
Kingfisher
We can sometimes see a bird of prey over the fields outside our village - it's quite easy to see why it is sometimes called a windhover. How would you feel if it had these eyes fixed on you?

Netherlands - 5 September 1995
Blauwe kiekendief (Kestrel)
To prey on other 'K' stamps fly over to Seeitonapostcard.Sunday Stamps - K

7 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I learned about this bird once that I bought a yarn labelled "kingfisher". Nos it's one of my favourite colours! It's a beautiful stamp. The eyes on the last one are impressive.

Joy said...

Birds of prey eyes are always mesmerising.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - great selection of stamps ... and those eyes ... I've been to the raptor centre here ... that was fascinating; and driving back yesterday evening ... there was an owl - only identified once he'd flow into a tree and I could see his outline. Kingfishers have just wonderful colours ... while Red Kelly - was obviously an exceptional player ... cheers Hilary

21 Wits said...

Wow, what a life like stamp in number one, and the second one beautiful colors, very nice stamps again Bob.

FinnBadger said...

Great finds for K, with clever connections. Those two birds are stunning.

violet s said...

The 'Original Six' were: Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Black Hawks, Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins, and new york Rangers. They were the the six teams of the NHL before the expansion in 1967.

Lisa said...

The National Hockey League's original six teams were the Boston Bruins, the Chicago Blackhawks, the Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, New York Rangers, and Toronto Maple Leafs. They made up the entire league from 1942-1967 when more teams started getting added. I'm from the Detroit area & am a Red Wings fan! But I'm not familiar with the players from the early years, so I'll have to look up who Red Kelly is.