Pages

Sunday 17 June 2018

Sunday Stamps II A-Z 'R' USA, Great Britain

Back in the 1950s when I was at school, I won my boxing colours and was captain of the boxing team. I wish I could say that I was undefeated like Rocky Marciano, the world heavyweight champion of the time,


USA -26 May 1999
Rocky (not the film) was on the stamp for the 1950s in the Celebrate the Century series.

From boxing to a gentler pastime of poetry for my next stamp from the USA.


" I wake to sleep and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn  by going where I have to go."

USA - 21 April 2012
Theodore Roethke (1908-1963) is one of the ten 20th century poets that appeared on this set in 2012. He won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 1954.

At this time so many years since England won the football world cup, I have chosen a stamp from back then (1966) showing what is claimed to be Britain's favourite bird.

Great Britain - 6 August 1966
Just like the one that chases other birds away from our feeders when it wants to eat.

This year sees the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Royal Air Force. For the 50th anniversary in 1968 a commemorative stamp showed a Sopwith Camel from WWI and English Electric Lightning Fighters from the 1960s.

Great Britain - 29 May 1968
For other 'R' related stamps fly over and pick up the links at Sunday-stamps-r.

5 comments:

violet s said...

Your robins are much more adorable than ours.
And (irreverently) I can't help but think of Snoopy, whenever I hear of a 'Sopwith Camel'

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - great selection of stamps ... and interesting to read about Roethke. The robin ... hadn't realised he was a thug!! A friend sent me a pic of her robin sitting on her spade ... as I wrote back earlier in the year - the robins here are thrushes ... but I'm sure you know that. Different they be. Sopwith Camel - who on earth invents these names! We didn't have female boxing ... but congratulations on your colours - hope your nose wasn't whopped too many times?! Cheers Hilary

Ana said...

Nice combination of R's today - haven't heard of either of the men shown. But I do know robins, and here is another adorable one on stamp! Lovely!

Mail Adventures said...

A nice mix of themes today! The colours on the robin are very nice, even on the screen.

Joy said...

Wow those forearms are some size in contrast to the robin which punches above its weight. I like the wings in action on the stamp.