Pages

Sunday 14 August 2016

Shapes - Sunday Stamps II

I guess I gave the game away when I showed The Endless River album from Pink Floyd last week.

It doesn't seem 50 years since they began. Six  stamps were issued on 9 July 2016 to commemorate this milestone - or should I say, 'another brick in the wall?'

Great Britain
The albums were:

  • The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - 1967 - named after Chapter 7 in Kenneth Grahame's 'The Wind in the Willows.'
  • Atom Heart Mother - 1970 - their first UK No. 1. It was also the first of their LPs not to feature the band's name.



  • The Dark Side of the Moon - 1973 - over 50 million copies sold worldwide and entered in the Guinness Book of Records as the longest charting album. 
  • Wish You Were Here - 1975 Jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli played on the title track but is inaudible on the song.
  • Animals - 1977 - appeared in the punk era; Johnny Rotten wore a T-shirt with the slogan 'I hate Pink Floyd.'
The albums protruding from the sleeves enabled me to enter these for this week's 'Shapes' on Sunday-stamps-II 87.

7 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - very clever ... darker side of the moon. Wonderful range of ideas here ... the art work on records is incredible to see ... cheers Hilary

FinnBadger said...

An incredible run for a band. And Pink Floyd's iconic album covers make for great record-shaped stamps.

Joy said...

Nothing like a vinyl album cover, nice to capture the moment of popping the pristine disc out ready to play.

VioletSky said...

I was looking forward to seeing these stamps. I was a bit late in my appreciation of Pink Floyd, so these album covers are unfamiliar to me!

Heleen said...

These are wonderful stamps!I never have seen these before, and I never would have expected these to be on stamps, but I like it!

Pink Floyd made songs a little too lenghty for my (pre-teen at their dates of issue) ears in those days, but Animals was the very first Pink Floyd LP I owned, maybe because I love animals. And 'Wish you were here' was my second (and last; I then - in the eighties - became a 'New Wave' fan, in which the United Kingdom's music scenes have played a mayor role, too!).

Thank you for sharing!

Jo said...

I basically don't know what you are talking about, other than stamps.

viridian said...

Remember vinyl? A big canvas for cover art!