Pages

Tuesday 6 January 2015

Fun(gi) Favourites - Thematic Photography

When it comes to showing more of my favourite shots I couldn't resist having a little fungi,

Jew's Ear Fungus (Auricularia auricula) - 2007
This grows on old wood and is soft and velvety to the touch. What's more it's edible and recipes for Jew's Ear Soup  exist. I've never been brave enough to try this.

Parasol Mushroom (Macrolepiota procera) - Tresco, 2008
Apparently this is also edible but beware there is a very similar 'shaggy' mushroom that causes stomach problems.

In 2014 I found this on on the grass verge between Kirklevington and Yarm. Having seen its appearance change from day to day I doubt that it is edible and I'm not sure what it is.


 Two days later it looked like this.

One to leave alone

Today I had a different kind of fun and took my first photo of the year - somehow I think it mighty figure in my year end favourites too.


It was the light that caught my attention. - the sky was black and not as blue as it appears.

For more favourite shots cross over to  Carmi at Thematic--faves-all-time.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

That last shot is spectacular. Great light.

DougPhoto2009 said...

Bob, great use of light. What a way to start your photographic year. Thanks for sharing.

Gilly said...

That last fungus is a shaggy ink cap. You can eat them, preferably in a casserole, but it turns black and they disappear into nothing! I really don't recommend eating fungus except the stuff you buy in Tesco unless you are REALLY expert!

That last shot is absolutely beautiful!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - glad you've been told what the Shaggy ink cap is ... fungi have amazing textures, colours, striations .. and then some are edible ..

I love the black (blue) sky against the trees with the sunlight - yes we can see how 'dangerous' that looks ...

Happy New Year - cheers Hilary

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I love eating some wild fungi as long as I know for sure about them.

That first pic looks like sliced ham!
~