Pages

Sunday 12 January 2020

Sunday Stamps - Flags from the USA

I have a strip of stamps for Flags of Our Nation issued 6 August 2009 featuring the flags for the States of Kentucky through to Missouri in alphabetical order. Here are 3 of them.



The design of the Maryland flag comes from the yellow and black colours of the paternal arms and the red and white from the maternal side of the Calvert family.

The Massachusetts flag is a blue shield on a white field, The shield depicts an Algonquin Native American with a golden bow in one hand and a golden arrow in the other.

The Michigan flag is the only one I've seen. The shield shows a lake with a golden sun and a man with one hand raised in friendship. An Elk and a Moose support the shield, above which a Bald Eagle grasps an olive branch, with arrows in its talons.

I guess I have found myself a new project now to find out more about these and the rest of the State Flags.

If you are not flagging yet you can see more by following the links at See it on A Postcard

4 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I've got some of these series, and I find them very interesting!

Joy said...

I love those US States stamps but only have a couple.

violet s said...

I am not at all familiar with any of the state flags, so this would be an interesting study.
This set looks very nice - especially as all three are united by water on the stamp.

FinnBadger said...

I like this set and how they included small scenes around the flags.