Pages

Sunday 25 November 2018

Sunday Stamps O3 - Great Britain, Greece, Malawi, New Zealand

Back in 1675 Sir Christopher Wren chose a site at Greenwich to be where King Charles II commissioned 

The Royal Observatory, Greenwich
Great Britain - 23 April 1975
The prime meridian passes through it, thereby giving its name to Greenwich Mean Time. In 1998 it became part of the National Maritime Museum.

Maintaining an old theme I found these old toys in Greece.

Greece  - 22 December 2006
Old toys from the Benaki Museum in Athens
I've posted stamps from Malawi in previous weeks and perhaps should have shown one of my favourites under 'K'.

Klipspringer Antelope - 15 February 1971
However, its Latin name is Oreotragus oreotraus.

1948 saw the 100th anniversary of the settlement of the New Zealand Province of Otago.

New Zealand - 23 February 1948
Now I have to find out about the two ships shown on the stamp.

Sail across to Sunday-stamps-o. for more 'O' related stamps.

4 comments:

Joy said...

The royal observatory is a fascinating place and a beautiful building.

violet s said...

I've heard of a John Wycliffe - a theologian among other things, I believe. Maybe the ship was bringing some of his bibles for the natives?
I think the name klipspringer is pretty cool for this creature.

thanks for your help, but now the link ups don't want to stay put. they keep disappearing, even though they (yes, I now have two of each!) show up on the draft and html versions. will keep at it...

Mail Adventures said...

I used to live in a village the Meridian of Greenwich pass through. Everyday, when I was driving to work, I saw the sign!

FinnBadger said...

Great Os here, I like the Observatory stamp a lot.