Pages

Sunday 8 July 2018

Sunday Stamps II A-Z 'U' UNESCO

UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific & Cultural Organisation) was established in 1946. Since then many of its World Heritage Sites have been commemorated on stamps.

At  the UNESCO General Conference in Paris, 1968 it was decided that activities would be initiated to commemorate the centenary of the birth of Lenin, including the organisation of a symposium on the theme: 'Lenin and the development of science, culture and education'.

The symposium was held in TampereFinland, from 6 to 10 April 1970Tampere was chosen because Lenin lived here from 1905 to 1907. The city houses the only Lenin Museum outside the former Soviet Union.

Finland - 6 April 1970
The medieval centre of the city of Regensburg in Bavaria was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2006 and appears on a joint issue stamp with Japan in 2011.

Germany - 3 February 2011
One of my favourite Canadian stamps shows the Kluane, Wrangell-St Elias, Glacier Bay and Tatshenshini-Alsek national parks declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1979  for its spectacular glacier and icefield landscapes and for its habitats for grizzly bears, caribou and Dall sheep.

Canada - 3 July 2015
For other stamps related to 'U' please visit the links at Sunday-stamps-u.

6 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - some interesting stamps and history ... particularly Lenin and then the Glacier park, which sadly I don't think I'll be able to get up to ... thanks for highlighting these - cheers Hilary

violet s said...

There are so many different and interesting UNESCO Sites that I am completely unaware of!

Pat Tillett said...

Great post Bob! I love the historic and geographic information on your posts.
A long time ago I set a goal to see as many world heritage sites as I could. Although I've visited several, there are just too many. Maybe I can accomplish all of them in the U.S.

Ana said...

didn't know that there was a Lenin museum outside the USSR, very cool!

I will have to admit that I rarely think of UNESCO sites when it comes to stamps, unless it is specifically stated on them... who knows how many UNESCO related stamps I may actually have :))

FinnBadger said...

Lovely stamps, and we shared a UN connection this week.

Mail Adventures said...

UNESCO WHS usually make great stamps!