Sunday, 17 September 2017

Sunday Stamps II: A-Z 'G'

Despite posting from the USA I sailed this week to Guinea- Bissau.

Guinea-Bissau - 1988
This Egyptian navy ship is one of a series of old ships issued at the same time. This West African country was once part of the kingdom of Gabu, colonised by Portugal it was formerly Portuguese Guinea.

Each week I have tried to maintain a link (of sorts) to the previous week. Last week we saw the work of the goldsmiths in Finland.

So while in West Africa where better to stop off than Ghana which before its independence from Britain in 1957 was the -

Gold Coast - 1952

Too late I thought of golfing stamps, but you can make up for this by checking out Sunday-Stamps-II-144.

7 comments:

Eva A. said...

I like the way you link the posts. And, of course, the stamps. Two beauties this week.

VioletSky said...

I have to admit, for a brief moment I thought French Guiana was in Africa - I obviously had Guinea and Guiana mixed up!
That's a nice find with two countries whose old and new name both start with G.
Most navy ships aren't as pretty as this one.

Heleen said...

I love the design of the ship stamp. And I learned some more about history of both countries. Thank you for sharing!

FinnBadger said...

Nice that you are keeping up with the A-Z even when you are away from home. And a very nice pair of stamps today.

Jo said...

When I first looked briefly, I thought Vikings. Nice stamp. As for the Gold Coast, 1 1/2 d?? Just shows you how long ago that was.

Enjoy your visit this side of the pond.

Pat Tillett said...

I like them both! The Ivory Coast. I haven't even heard those two words in quite a while.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - fantastic stamp ... lovely to see and how interesting to read about. I didn't know about the Gabu region either ... so the Guinea-Bissau stamp is fascinating. The Gold Coast ... long ago days - cheers Hilary