Pages

Friday 24 June 2011

I Never Promised You A Rose Garden

As I watch it rain in Michigan I must beg your pardon. I never promised you a rose garden.

The flowers on the chives in the herb garden at my daughter’s home are a favourite with butterflies and dragonflies. I have had to spend time on the web to identify what they are. If I’ve got their names wrong please let me know.

Silver-Spotted Skipper
This butterfly was reluctant to fully open its wings:

Silver-Spotted Skipper
However this little beauty was more obliging:

Pearl Crescent
It was an elegant dragonfly that really caught my eye:

Widow Skimmer
The most prolific dragonfly was this vicious brute seen here on a post to the deck at the back of the house:

Chalk-Fronted Corporal
 This was more at home on a rock by the lake:

Chalk-Fronted Corporal
What looked like blue-flying matchsticks just stayed on the reeds. It was only when you look closer you can see they are stripped.

Double-Stripped Bluet
Meanwhile the roses in the bed in the centre of the back paddock are ignored by butter- and dragonflies alike.

“I beg your pardon.
I never promised you a rose garden.”

You will have to make do with these pictures instead.

4 comments:

L. D. said...

We too have a lot of dragon flies. The wetter the spring the more they seem to be. I like the snake weed in the water at the bottom, or snap weed, I don't remember for sure.

Rosalind Adam said...

Lovely photos. We've got a lot of those dainty damsel flies here this year... and thanks a million. I'm now singing that song in my head... *along with the sunshine, there's got to be a...*

Little Nell said...

Lovely dragonfly pictures!

Bruno Laliberté said...

the widow skimmer is simply astonishing!!
:)~
HUGZ