Pages

Sunday 7 July 2019

Sunday Stamps - T4 Great Britain

Many of today's telecommunications devices did not exist when the British Post Office issued a set of stamps in 1969 covering their technology.

Great Britain - 1 October 1969
This stamp covered international subscriber dialling.

The St Johns Ambulance Brigade celebrated its centenary in 1987 - one of the stamps issued in commemoration featured the transportation of transplants.

GB - 16 June 1987
When dinosaurs ruled the world you would not have wanted to run into this - 

GB - 20 August 1991
Tyrannosaurus was included in the set commemorating Sir Richard Owen's 1841 identification of dinosaurs.  'Dinosauria' is rooted in Greek and is frequently quoted as meaning 'terrible lizard. In his 1842 report Owen refers to dinosaurs as 'fearfully great', acknowledging their large size - significantly larger than that of any living reptile.  

For more 'T' related stamps please visit Sunday-stamps and follow the links provided in the comments.

4 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

The design of the first stamp seems very seventies to me. And I like a lot the theme and the illustration on the second. I'm afraid that dinosaurs aren't my thing, but still they amazed me.

Joy said...

Direct dialing is something that we don't think twice about nowadays, so exciting back then that it got its own stamp.

violet s said...

I have a set of those dinosaur PHQ cards.
And I'd forgotten about the time before direct dialling!
I wonder what they were transporting for transplant in that little yellow box?
(sorry, I am now home from my week away and just getting caught up)

Lilly Ann said...

Nice and great post. thanks for sharing with us.