Pages

Sunday 11 December 2016

Mountains - Sunday Stamps !!

I've posted many mountain stamps before so had to try harder this week.

In 1949 Algeria issued an airmail stamp showing a plane flying over the El Kantara Gorge.

Algeria

I believe those are the Aures mountains on either side.

The Australian Alps make up the highest range in south-east Australia, straddling eastern Victoria and south-east New South Wales.

Australia - 1 Oct 2015
This stamp is slightly damaged but still enables you to see the Victoria Alpine National Park.

Now get your crampons on and trek over to other mountains on view at Sunday-Stamps-II-104 starting with the Matterhorn in Europe's Alps.


6 comments:

VioletSky said...

I always like when they fly a plane onto the stamps for airmail.l

FinnBadger said...

I like the contrast between modern and vintage stamps.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - interesting views to see ... I didn't know the names of the mountains - so now I've learnt something ... cheers Hilary

Joy said...

love the plane swooping over the gorge, possibly bringing mail to the village. I always associate colour with Australian stamps so interesting to see a black and white one.

Pat Tillett said...

Very interesting! I don't collect stamps, but always found the subject matter and history of them to be very interesting.

Mail Adventures said...

These are very different stamps...