Pages

Sunday 19 August 2018

Sunday Stamps A3 USA

As we start a third round of A-Z it seemed appropriate to start with American stamps and with a President.

USA - 28 July 1938
John Quincy Adams
Alexandria's bicentennial was commemorated in 1949 by a stamp showing John Carlyle's House, Alexandria's Seal and Gadsby's Tavern.

USA - 11 May 1949
At this time of year I look out of our windows and wonder how soon it would be before our apples are ready to eat. I guess that the America pioneer nursery man would have known.

USA - 27 September 1966
Johnny Appleseed
Would apple cider have been available at Gadsby's Tavern in Alexandria when visited by the man who was the second President of the USA?

USA - 3 June 1938
President John Adam
To check other 'A' related stamps just visit our host at Sunday-stamps-a.



7 comments:

FinnBadger said...

I like the stamps, and your question tying it all together.

I like the layout of the words on the apple stamp - I'm trying to think if I've seen anything like that on US stamps in the past 5 years.

Joy said...

I like the Johnny Appleseed, apple time is one of my favourite times of the year.

Maria said...

It's so delightful to read your layout and narrative about these American stamps.

Your musing on apples makes me impatient to go back to Washington state this fall for another cider sampling adventure!

Ana said...

These definitely are some great A-findings! And some great stamps too! Had to google for some more information about Johnny Appleseed cos that last name is just so intriguing! He seemed to be a really cool guy!

Mail Adventures said...

The Johnny Appleseed stamps has surprised me!

Pat Tillett said...

Nice choices Bob.
I LOVE the Johnny Appleseed stamp.

violet s said...

I am so ready for some fresh apple cider (the non alcoholic kind!)