Pages

Sunday 20 August 2017

Sunday Stamps II - A-Z: 'C'

The Republic of Chad is the fifth largest country in Africa; located in central Africa it is bounded by Libya, Sudan, Central African Republic, Cameroon, Nigeria and Niger.

Its wildlife includes the rhino, whose numbers have been decimated by poachers.

I have only one stamp from this country - it's a postage due stamp showing a rock painting.

Chad - 1962
My second stamp this week is also from 1962, and is the only stamp I have from Cuba. I think you can work out for yourself the date on which it was issued

Cuba - International Labour Organisation
The ILO was set up by the League of Nations after World War One. Over 180 countries are now members of this United Nations organisation.

For other 'C' related stamps visit the links at sunday-stamps-ii-140.


7 comments:

Joy said...

Chad's postage due stamps are one of the best and such an interesting subject, it looks as it has just been drawn.

Kristin said...

I was surprised to see that the rino was a rock painting. Interesting stamp.

violet s said...

A Chadian Moomin!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - I love Chad's stamp - I just hope these huge mammals can be kept going in our human way of life. While the Cuban stamp makes a statement ... quite a few 'C' countries ... cheers Hilary

Heleen said...

I love the rock painting, the simple design (in a way it is modern: it reminds me of the Finnish cartoon characters Moomins).

And good to see a stamp on the ILO. A froend of mine has been working thete and she told me about dangerous working circumstances in various countries (like people working unprotected on the land while pesticide sprayin airplanes fly around; piles of explosive firework powder laying on the kitchen table while the whole family rolling it in paper to make the firework ready, etcetera). So I think it good that there is international attention and people uniting to try to improve these workers' lives.

FinnBadger said...

I love the hippo stamp. It is my favorite from this week's roundup. And, like Heleen, it reminds me of a modern graphic - fascinating to see how art has come full circle.

Pat Tillett said...

Both very nice. I really like the hippo. I wonder how old the the originial rock painting is?