Pages

Sunday 21 May 2017

Photographs - Sunday Stamps II

Photographs of four different types of bat appeared in a commemorative set on 13 September 2002. I found these by searching for 'photographs' on the US stamp gallery. This one is in my collection.

USA
I never considered that the 2006 Christmas stamps could have been photographs too.


USA Snowflakes - 17 Oct. 2006
Physicist Kenneth Libbrecht took photos of two basic patterns of snowflake. Because snowflakes melt so quickly he used a paintbrush to quickly transfer the flakes from cardboard to glass slides where he photographed them in a temperature regulated enclosure, using a digital camera attached to a high resolution microscope.

Until I searched the stamp gallery I had no idea which of my stamps were 'photographs'. Now I shall have to look at other countries. But not for this Sunday-stamps-ii-127.html

9 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I didn't know that the snowflakes were photographs.

FinnBadger said...

The bat stamp is very cool. And I had no idea the snowflake stamps were photographs.

21 Wits said...

Very interesting Bob, you always share the best stamps with us.

Joy said...

I've seen pictures of snowflakes before (always mesmerising) but never thought of the process involved in the actually photography, clever.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob ... yes I'd have never of thought of that either ... he's still alive and is Kenneth G Libbrecht ... sorry I usually look things up to clarify things or as in this case to find out more ... he's an interesting character ...

Love the bat though ... cheers Hilary

Bob Scotney said...

Thanks Hilary; I've corrected Libbrecht's name.

Heleen said...

The bat is amazing, as are the snowflakes now that I learned that they are photos instead of painted snowflakes!

violet s said...

the bat is cute - I like bats, but they are often shown with their teeth bared which is not so cute.
and the snowflakes are a brilliant find!
I guess we'll have to have another photography theme, so keep your new finds on file :)

Pat Tillett said...

If a bat can be described as cute, it is this one.