Pages

Sunday 30 April 2017

Kings and Queens - Sunday Stamps II

I tried to get a link between the Kings and Queens I am showing. Let me know what you think.

Victor Emmanuel III - 21 April 1929
He was King of Italy from 28 July 1900 until he abdicated on 8 May 1946 in favour of his son Umberto II. Umberto was the last King of Italy but only from 9 May to 12 June 1946. Italy then became a republic.

Victor Emmanuel also claimed the thrones of Ethiopia and Albania as Emperor of Ethiopia (1936-1941) and King of Albania (1939-1943)

King Paul I of Greece
This stamp was issued on 6 May 1964 as a memorial to King Paul, King from 1 April 1947 to 6 March 1964. He was the last but one King of Greece before the country became a republic in 1973.

Queen Juliana of the Netherlands 1954
Juliana was Queen from 1948 until she abdicated in 1980. Her daughter  Beatrix succeeded  her as Queen; she abdicated in 2013 to be followed by her son, King Willem - Alexander

For more Kings and Queens visit Sunday-Stamps-II 124.




9 comments:

FinnBadger said...

I like the stamps you showed today. I love the typography on the Italian stamp.

Jo said...

Not so many Kings and Queens these days. I remember meeting one of the exiled Kings just after the second world war. Might have been King Paul, not sure now. I was rather young.

It was King Willem-Alexander's birthday last Thursday (have a Dutch friend who was all dressed in orange that day).

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - interesting to see these stamps and their brief histories ... I'd forgotten about Julianna abdicating as well as her daughter ... cheers Hilary

Trin Carl said...

Great to see these stamps Bob, queen Juliana was my favorite. What with that red background. Red is a powerful stamp choice.

http://theglobaldig.blogspot.com/2017/04/z-is-for-zealous-book-tag-atozchallenge.html

Mandy said...

I love stamps. There is a place near my home that sells old unused stamps for 20% off the asking price. I use them to decorate envelopes because I'm not much of a collector. I do love looking at and discovering old stamps though, especially ones with a history. Thanks for sharing these. :)

With Love,
Mandy

Joy said...

I always think of the wonderfully named King Zog and Albania. The second word war certainly put paid to a lot of monarchies.

Deepa said...

My dad used to collect stamps. he had such pretty ones. Alas, the book got lost while we were shifting to another place.


Click Here to see what Mrs. Dash Says

VioletSky said...

One thing we can be certain of, there will never be an abdication of the British monarch!

Mail Adventures said...

Kings that we are not seeing any more on stamps... (or, who knows?)