Pages

Sunday 11 September 2016

Worshipful Places - Sunday Stamps II

There are many churches in England dedicated to St Andrew, two of which appeared on stamps for British Architecture - Village Churches issued on 21 June 1972

Great Britain - St Andrews, Letheringsett, Norfolk
This is one of 124 churches in Norfolk with a round tower.

Great Britain - St Andrews, Helpringham, Lincolnshire
Boston, USA not Boston, England is the location of - 

USA - The Old North Church, Boston
It's from here that the famous lantern signal 'One if by land, two if by sea' was sent following Paul Revere's midnight ride of April 18, 1775 preceding the Battles of Lexington and Concorde during the American Revolution.

For other worshipful places visit Sunday-Stamps-II-91.


4 comments:

Joy said...

I don't remember seeing a round towered church in England, a trip to Norfolk is a must it seems. I like that set.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - fascinating one with the round tower ... and that Old North Church, Boston, USA - I'd forgotten about the lantern signal ...

Having just spent 2 days in Oxford ... I was overwhelmed with ChristChurch ... didn't get a chance to go elsewhere ...

Cheers Hilary

VioletSky said...

The round tower is indeed unusual to see!
I remember the lantern signal, but did not remember (know?) where it was from.

Jo said...

I was at school in Norfolk but don't remember a round towered church - guess I never made it there. I spent a lot of time in our church by the school. In the choir of all places, and I can't really sing.