Pages

Sunday 17 July 2016

Science - Sunday Stamps II

One thing we have in common, even if it's different in each one of us, is DNA.

Great Britain - Millennium Series, The Scientists' Tale
Mike Curtis is a sculptor whose depictions are shown on this 1999 stamp. Unfortunately these show a spiral and not the DNA double helix. I wonder why the Royal Mail has, so far, not had stamps for Watson and Crick - perhaps they have to be dead first!

USA commemorated a number of its scientists at least three of whom were Nobel Prize winners for their work

USA - 16 June 2011
Watson and Crick have appeared on Swedish stamps if not the British.

In 2006 the Distinguished American series included scientists who developed polio vaccines. One was for Dr Jonas Salk and the other - 

 USA - Dr Albert Sabin, 8 March 2006
I believe it's time British scientists were commemorated too. There have been few so far.

Check out the links at Sunday-Stamps-II-83 for other science related issues.

5 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - I'd definitely agree with that sentiment ... how strange ...

Interesting to see the others though .. cheers Hilary

Joy said...

I like the double portrait on the U.S. stamps, nice design. The millennium stamp is from one of the many sets I'm missing from that issue.

Heleen said...

Beautiful stamps, all of them.

By the way, the DNA in the middle of the stamp immediately makes me think of the pixels in the popular 'Minecraft' game (my kids love to play and I love to see them build in this game, so now I know even Minecraft has DNA, too :-) ).

Jo said...

You'd think they would celebrate scientists. I like the American stamps too.

VioletSky said...

The mike Curtis sculptures should have at least one of those spirals going in the opposite direction, I think.
I really like the US series. I always fear scientists are under appreciated and their work taken for granted.

Thanks for your feedback re: the links; not sure what to do about it, though. Will see if there's a more reliable one out there to switch to , maybe?