Pages

Sunday 24 April 2016

Spineless invertebrates - Sunday Stamps II

There is nothing like a bit of tautology to confuse me after the blank week last week on 'mammals in the sea'. I thought that I would have a second blank week until I realised that insects are invertebrates and this would permit me to post - 


Great Britain - Anax imperator, 12 March 1985
It was only a short flight for a Emperor Dragonfly to pal up with a butterfly from the United States.

USA - Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, 1 June 2015
Those black stripes on the upper wings give it the 'Tiger' name.

I had to travel to the South Atlantic and the Caribbean Sea to find marine life on the Belize Coral Reef -

Belize - Red Cushion Star, 27 Feb 1984 (-1988)
Oreaster reticulatus can grow up to 50cm (20") in diameter. Most have five arms like the one on the stamp but some may have six or seven.

For more invertebrates follow the link at Sunday Stamps II - 71

6 comments:

Joy said...

I don't know what I was more taken with the US butterfly or the fact that is a non-machineable stamp (not seen one of those before). I tried to find something from a coral reef too but you were more successful than me.

FinnBadger said...

Nice selection, Bob. I love the starfish stamp, another underrepresented theme on stamps.

Heleen said...

Beautiful stamps. Amazing, incredible that the star fish can become 50 cms in diameter!

viridian said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Nice selection of stamps you have shared here.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

ahhhhhhh

Love flutterbyes

VioletSky said...

I love dragonflies, but have yet to be able to take a good photograph of any - they are so fast!