Pages

Sunday 31 January 2016

Winter Scenes - Sunday Stamps II

I looked for something depicting winter storms but came up with a blank. I thought I was going to forced to show something from Winter Olympics like this one from Cortina, Italy.


San Marino - issued 15 December 1955
To find non-sporting winter scenes I finished up in Scandinavia.

Sweden - Mountain scenery, 15 March 1967
Sweden - Timber Transport, 4 June 1971
I wouldn't have looked at that one twice if it hadn't been for the sledge, nor this one until I realised it depicted footsteps in the snow.

Sweden - Oskar Andersson, 24 March 1977
The Swedish cartoonist Oskar Andersson was born in 1877 and was well known for his signature OA which you can see on the stamp. Tragically he committed suicide in 1906.

I found more mountain scenery depicting tourism in Sweden's neighbouring country.

Norway - 24 March 1983
If you fancy a winter holiday where better than on a snowy slope as on this Europa stamp

Norway - Holidays, 26 March 2004
I'd prefer to be at the head of this line - going down to where it's warm.

That's my wintry tour for today, you may follow others at Sunday-Stamps-II-59.

8 comments:

Joy said...

The line of people on the Norwegian stamp is a striking image, hope they are not roped together!

FinnBadger said...

Beautiful selection. My favorite is the one with the logs being carried by horse-drawn sled.

21 Wits said...

That's such a sad story and end to Oskar's life. You certainly uncovered some lovely winter scenes though. Each one interesting and quite striking in color and image.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

Kilroy

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Nice scenes on these, Bob!...:)JP

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - well searched out - I like the Italian one though .. but I agree the others are definitely more winter scenes. I love the art-work one gets on stamps ... yes, the Norwegian line of skiers is wonderful - are they on a ski-lift of some description?

Oskar Andersson ... such a pity to read about his suicide ... love the cartoon like take on his footsteps .. and his signature ..

Cheers Hilary

VioletSky said...

I feel a little stupid, but although I think of mountains in Norway, I have never thought of Sweden as having mountains!
That Sammarinese (I had to look it up!) has rather elegant legs for a speed skater.

Mail Adventures said...

I specially like the Swedish mountain.