Pages

Sunday 17 May 2015

Mushrooms/Fungi - Sunday Stamps II

I thought I would have only one stamp to show this week until I visited 'my' market stall.

Norway - Butter Mushroom
One of the problems with countries these days is how their names have changed.

French West Africa was once a federation of eight of France's colonies which included French Guinea and Upper Volta.

French Guinea became - 

Republic of Guinea (Guinée) - 1996
It's difficult to read, even with a magnifying glass, but the 300f stamp depicts a 'Destroying Angel)

Upper Volta became the Republic of Upper Volta in 1958 and then in 1984 it's name changed again to - 

Burkina Faso
There are four more stamps in the set from Guinée and three more in the Burkina Faso set from 1985.

I'm now trying to make sense of the fungi Latin names.

Meanwhile you may pick more mushrooms at Sunday-Stamps-ii-22

9 comments:

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Very interesting...:)JP

Joy said...

Butter mushroom sounds most tempting. Fungi have such wonderfully descriptive names, destroying angel being one.

FinnBadger said...

Nice collection, and fascinating country name changes

Mail Adventures said...

The names of fungi are always fascinating.

Jo said...

One assumes Destroying Angel is inedible. Butter Mushroom does sound good. Don't remember Upper Volta, where was that, USSR?

Heleen said...

Anyway, we learn a lot by stamps! And by searching more information on the stamps, thanks to Bob and Violet and all others who post Sunday Stamps!

VioletSky said...

The Burkina Faso mushrooms are cute. My Congo stamp was also found at the stamp fair yesterday, I wouldn't have bought it if I'd realized none of the mushrooms were native.
There aren't many African countries that haven't changed names, once or twice!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I rather like the Burkina Faso stamps. I hadn't known that the country was once Upper Volta, so I've learnt something today.

Misha Gerrick said...

Stamps have always fascinated me. :-)