Pages

Friday 10 April 2015

A-Z Challenge 2015 - Butterflies 'I'

I - Indian Butterflies

I almost had to resort to a Latin species name Icararia Icariodes for 'I' until I thought of looking for butterflies from Indiana of India. That Latin name belongs to a Canadian butterfly, the Boisduval's Blue.

I settled for two swallowtail butterflies from India in the end as India is one of the 17 mega-diverse countries in the world. It hosts c1800 species and subspecies of butterflies with 15-20% of those endemic to the Indian Region.


Bhutan Glory (Bhutan lidderdalii)
This swallowtail, as the name implies, is found in Bhutan, parts of North-East India and South-East Asia. Although this specimen looks brown to me it is described as dull black above with slim wavy cream-coloured striations crossing its wings.

Judging by the background to the shot this specimen appears to be dead.

My second swallowtail, a native to India, is very much alive.

Crimson Rose (Pachliopta hector)
The underside shows its beautiful markings and red body of this butterfly photographed at Nagpur, Maharastra, India. Perhaps that body warns off its enemies. It is inedible due the foodplants which its larvae consume.


Love is like a butterfly
As soft and gentle as a sigh
The multicolored moods of love are like its satin wings
Love makes your heart feel strange inside
It flutters like soft wings in flight
Love is like a butterfly, a rare and gentle thing

I feel it when you're with me
It happens when you kiss me
That rare and gentle feeling that I feel inside

Photo attributions:
  • Bhutan Glory: by Brian McKenna - CC BY-SA 2.5
  • Crimson Rose: by Dr Tarique Sani, 10 April 2005, uploaded by User Nature Leader - CC BY-SA 2.5


6 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Beautiful butterflys totally different to what we have in the UK

Bish Denham said...

I've never seen a butterfly so red before. Beautiful.

Kristin said...

That first one is really unique. Beautiful.

21 Wits said...

Wow, both of these have the most stunning designs, and the shape in the first one is very cool.

Jo said...

I love the Crimson Rose. Bright Colours are supposed to indicate "don't eat me" aren't they.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - aren't they both exquisite butterflies ... I love seeing these and hadn't thought about Indian butterflies - interesting to know more ...

Thanks for these and for the book on the Scillies - ordered! Cheers Hilary