Pages

Sunday 8 March 2015

Riding the rails - Sunday Stamps II

It was wartime when I was a boy. I don't remember ever having a train set them. Years later I had an assignment helping British Rail, as it was then, implementing one of the recommendations of the Hidden Report  following the Clapham train crash of December 1988.

By then diesel and electric trains had taken over from the famous steam trains that featured in this set of stamps from 1985.

Great Britain

The Flying Scotsman covered the London - Edinburgh route, the Golden Arrow London - Dover. The Cheltenham Flyer, as the name implies ran from London Paddington to Cheltenham. The Royal Scot was a west coast train from London Euston to Glasgow and the Cornish Riviera the express between Paddington and Penzance.

Now if you have got steam up, all aboard for trips on other rides at Sunday-stamps-ii-12.

12 comments:

Joy said...

Its a beautiful set of stamps which give the feel of power and steam.

FinnBadger said...

I like the fact that these stamps are based on (oil?) paintings of the scenes - adds an extra element of mystery and glamour to the age of steam.

♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

What a beautiful series of train stamps as well. and the artwork is superb!

Willa @ Postage Journal
My Sunday Stamp:Train

Michelle said...

Nice set of stamps!

21 Wits said...

Great trains away! Very nice collection Bob.

VioletSky said...

Somehow, I missed ever hearing of the Cornish Riviera - what a great name!

Jo said...

Something romantic about those old trains and their names isn't there?

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Bob, these stamps are super cool ( yes, I am showing my age)!!!!...:)JP

Sarah said...

They're SO beautiful! I think the Cheltenham Flyer is my favorite of the stamps.

Heleen said...

Beautiful stamp serie!

21 Wits said...

Carmi has a new theme up, Hit the Road! I've got mine in!

Sharon Himsl said...

These stamps are so cool. Lucky you. Something about trains just pumps the heart full of nostalgia.