Pages

Sunday 25 January 2015

San Marino, Shapes and Australia - Sunday Stamps II

I thought I had shown all my 'shaped' stamps before so I went looking for more this week.

The Republic of San Marino, in Italy, first issued stamps in 1877 but I do not know when these sporting triangles were issued.

San Marino
In 2003 Great Britain issued a set of Fruit and Vegetables which could be regarded as shaped stamps. Here's one I showed earlier.

Great Britain pair with  a Pear on the right
I have another stamp that I couldn't identify for years.

A Great Britain Lemon
Apparently the Fruit and Vegetable set was printed in sheets of 10 with the stamp pane accompanied by a pane of self adhesive labels with ears, eyes, mouths and hats etc intended for attachment to the fruit and vegetables depicted. That's why the answer is a lemon!

In looking for Australian stamps this week I've learnt a little history about Tasmania.

Australia - Bay of Fires, Tasmania
The Bay of Fires (indigenous name larapuna) on the north-east coast of Tasmania was given that name in 1773 by Captain Tobias Furneaux who saw fires of Aboriginal people on the beaches. Furneaux was on the ship Adventure; an English navigator and Royal Naval officer he accompanied James Cook on his second voyage of exploration.

Australia - Maria Island, Tasmania
The entire island is a national park. It was named in 1642 by the Dutch Explorer Abel Tasman after Maria van Diemen, the wife of the Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies. Tasmania was once called Van Diemen's Land.

This is a post linked to Sunday-stamps-ii-6.

7 comments:

Ana said...

the Lemon is just fantastic..laughed so hard at it! :D

Joy said...

The fruit stamps sound great fun, I'd be tempted to send five a day.

FinnBadger said...

The fruit stamps are hilarious, thanks for sharing.

21 Wits said...

What an assortment of great photos, especially the kid friendly ones! Very nice, enjoy your Sunday Bob.

Mail Adventures said...

Interesting mix of stamps!
The stamps from San Marino were the first that caught my attention as a child. My aunt used to have a friend from this country who sent her interesting stamps with children characters. I started to collect stamps because of them!

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Those old triangle ulnar ones are so cool, Bob!...:)JP

VioletSky said...

A Mr Lemon-head (instead of potato-head) stamp! I think the Finns have something similar with add on stickers. I found that very strange.
Thanks for also including these great Australian stamps. I regret not going to Tasmania when I had the chance