Pages

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Childhood Memories - Thematic Photography

As I'm in my second childhood and my memory is not what it was, Carmi's theme this week has caused me some problems.

I've shown the house where I was born on more than one occasion.

100 High Street, Ketton
That stone wall didn't exist back then and there was another empty building behind it to the left, Our front had a double grey gate and a grey wooden fence; a rose-bedecked trellis lined the drive where box hedge is on the right. There where no hatched white lines on the road, just one line down the middle.


The traffic island didn't exist either; although this is main road from Stamford to Leicester, during the late 1940s it was safe enough to use it as a football field - with a tennis ball of course.

The oldest photo I have of me is aged 12 in Stamford School boxing team.

Stamford School Boxing Team, 1949
Just in case you cannot recognise me:-


My pastimes in my second childhood include watching and counting the birds in our garden and photographing them when I'm quick enough. Some just pose.

Wood Pigeon at the birdbath - 24 January 2015
even during the RSPB's Great Garden Bird Watch.

My wife says I'm playing when I'm out with my camera and uploading what I've taken to my computer. Here's one I took yesterday.

Two of five wind turbines - from Dent's Lane, Kirklevington
Not only do I play with Thematic Photography I also take part in Sepia Saturday. This week this involves me playing with some poster memories of my time in Stavanger.

QEII visiting Stavanger - July 1980
The structure on the left is the topside deck for the Statfjord 'B' platform under construction at Rosenberg Verft where I was working. I was too small to be seen in the photo and regret to this day never having a camera with me to take my own photos - not that I would have been allowed on the helicopter from which the shot was taken.

However my second childhood memory has been good enough to find the souvenir poster we were given.

For more childhood memories don't forget to look in on Carmi's childhood thematic-photographic-323.


8 comments:

21 Wits said...

I think I remember that house! It's lovely. I like going back and seeing real childhood moments of yours, as well as shots that bring back your childhood memories. My hubby teases me sometimes that I never left my childhood. Ha! Ha!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

enjoyed my visit.

I don't look forward to childhood #3 either

Jo said...

We visited the area where I was born but I didn't recognise it and I had no idea what the number of the house had been.

Interesting shots. I was in Stavanger but don't really remember it.

L. D. said...

I really like seeing the area where you were born. Those are some really sturdy homes. It is nice to see these pieces of history.

Michèle et Jean-Claude said...

Love those beautiful stone homes, last a lot longer than today's modern houses!

Gilly said...

Lovely stone houses! And you have a real mean look in the boxing team!!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

A boxing team at age 12? I had no idea! We didn't have that. I did take karate lessons, but that cost money and was separate from school.

Great pics, Bob!
~

Amy Burzese said...

Wonderful. Being out with your camera is playing!