Pages

Friday 21 November 2014

The Power of Three - Sepia Saturday

I was one of three brothers, my wife one of three sisters but I am unable to find a photo showing us together in our family groups. That's why this week's silhouette post left me in a quandary.


Those who visit my blog will not be in the least surprised if I used the dog as a theme.

But with three children of our own it would be remiss of me if I left them out. However over the years there have been few occasions when they have been photographed together.

Andrew, Rachel and Adrian - 1970s
That was taken at one of the many abbey ruins in Yorkshire, if only I could remember which one.

Shortly afterwards a visit to Sandsend near Whitby has them leaving the sea with you know who in charge.


When they were older still (1980s) we find the three of them at home in Yarm.


Of course they scattered far and wide after leaving school and university. When they reunited in Tresco in 2008, they told us that it had been 10 years since they had been together last.

Cromwell's Castle, Tresco, Isles of Scilly
We were all there, thanks to them, to celebrate our golden wedding.

Island Hotel, Tresco, August 2008
By this time the boys had children of their own.

Kai, Alby & Alana (Andrew's children)
In a less formal setting they appear to be having fun with their father and grandmother giving a helping hand.

Paddling pool at Gatcombe, early 2000s

Adrian's youngest son, Angus, is now sixteen but was smaller here in another group of three.

Alby (baby), Angus - right, his older brother Dylan - middle
My daughter has no children but has had dogs aplenty, including this gang of four.


I included these because three of them match our prompt with their noses in the air. Cody on the right, and Gem in the front have crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Gem went to join Cody while we were in Michigan 4 weeks ago.

The current three residing there are -

Lily, Scout and Gabby
Scout is only too pleased to show you he can raise his nose.

With or without a cup
Lily can crane her neck really high - unfortunately I don't have a picture of her in action.

The three of them have the power to make you throw tennis balls for hours for them to fetch. If only I had the power to keep up with them and to make them sit and wait patiently like these dogs from Kirklevington.

Jasper, Alfie & Duke
And that's not me with the stick.

To see what others have posted this week, check out the links at Sepia-Saturday-255.


20 comments:

Anne Young said...

The dogs and children all look happy to pose for their photos :)

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

Nice shots of the family. I live on the other side of the continent as my brother and sister, and we haven't been together (all 3) in longer than I will admit. That shouldnt' happen, eh.

Alex Daw said...

Hmmm...yes....we got to look after my daughter's fur babies for a few weeks while they were waiting for a new fence to be built. They find the golfers on the golf course too enticing. Baxter is relentless in his pursuit of ball throwing and would make a saint weep.

Bel said...

Great family photos. And dogs are just as much family as humans!

Mike Brubaker said...

Dogs and children were indeed a predictable theme, but they still make a most suitable medley, Bob.

Unknown said...

Groups of three - I hadn't thought of that. But it has worked well and both children and dogs are adorable - boundforoz

ScotSue said...

A great take on this week's theme and I enjoyed seeing your threesomes down the decades. Your sister looked the happiest emerging form the sea, whilst her menfolk looked rather chilly.

Jofeath said...

I particularly like that last photograph of the three dogs waiting for the stick to be thrown in the field. Do you have two grandsons called Alby, and is it short for something?

Bob Scotney said...

Jo - Alby is Andrew's son. It just happened that he was photographed with Adrian's boys - Dylan and Angus - which gave me a group of three.

Postcardy said...

It is interesting to see how the kids change over the years. I think the dogs kind of stole the show.

Little Nell said...

I enjoyed seeing your children (and grandchildren) in the family groups. It was especially nice to see the children grow to adulthood.

Wendy said...

Great threesomes of both the 2-legged and 4-legged variety. My favorite photo is your son with his kids in the pool. I have a similar one of my husband in a plastic pool with our 2-yr old. Now THAT's a good dad!

Unknown said...

And Scout with his mouthful of tennis balls (I think I see two in there). Can he do three?

Bob Scotney said...

Jo - Alby is his full name.

Deb - Scout can carry two balls but try as he might he cannot manage three.

La Nightingail said...

All the photos are great, but my favorites are the first two. In a family of mixed siblings, sisters always rule, don't you know!

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

What a wonderful family, both 2-legged and 4-legged. I had two old dogs go over the Rainbow Bridge this year so understand very well. :-(

Alan Burnett said...

You are right - dogs and kids, you can't beat them. Lovely photographs - happy photographs.

Unknown said...

Well of course the dog, but those generations of cute kids take the cake...and the old guy shivering in his suit inthe photo, who would have thought how far it would go!

Tattered and Lost said...

Whenever there are three people together there always seems to be two that are the closest and one a bit more to the side. I wonder if it works this way with dogs.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

Your grandchildren are gorgeous. I always enjoy your posts - they are so relaxed somehow and easy to read.