Pages

Thursday 27 November 2014

Columns and Rows - Thematic Photography

I was surprised by just how many of my photos could be interpreted as meeting the 'Columns and Rows' theme Carmi has set us this week.

For quiet contemplation where better to start than in the ruins of an abbey.

Fountains Abbey, Yorkshire - 2008
"Eureka! I've got it."

Archimedes Screws on the Tees Barrage - 2012
The four screws lift columns of water up the white water rafting course adjacent to the River Tees at Stockton.

There are other ways to get a lift.

"Up, Up and Away in my Beautiful Balloon" - Michigan 2012
In Cornwall's city it's peaceful to admire the- 

High Altar and Reredos, in Truro Cathedral -2011
Where you sit in rows and contemplate the columns of - 

The Nave, Truro Cathedral - 2011
If I have recycled some pictures from recent years this week a calendar for the future arrived.

Recycling Calendar
A magnet holds it to the side of the filing cabinet in my office.

Behind me a bookcase is made up of rows of books, the columns are the books themselves.


"Your face, my thane, is a book where men may read strange matters."  - Macbeth

For more strange matters link up with Carmi and others at Thematic-Photographic-318.


8 comments:

21 Wits said...

Wow, you do have a large number. Everyone an adventure of sorts too. Interesting reading selections too!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. love the Fountains Abbey one and then can't help but be drawn along ... the Truro ones ring true and remind me I must visit next time I'm down ..

Great creative ideas here .. Birds and Flowers - look good reads ... cheers Hilary

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

ya went column crazy, didntcha.

You feeling calmer now?

*wink*

Michèle et Jean-Claude said...

Excellent interpretations of the theme! I love the Abbey and the Cathedral and I wouldn't have thought of the rows of books!

Gilly said...

Oh, those are really great, Bob! Love Truro and Fountains - they certainly knew how to build in those days! But I think the cleverest one is the Archimedes Screw - great shot!

Unknown said...

Great photos and great ideas, Bob.

Jo said...

Noticed a Gerald Durrell. Haven't read them in years but used to enjoy his books. Love the cathedrals in particular.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

The cathedrals are beautiful, even as ruins.
~