Pages

Sunday 28 September 2014

Royal Institute of Chemistry - Sunday Stamps

I have some Nobel Prize winners for you this week.

The Royal Institute of Chemistry's centenary was commemorated by a set issued on 2 March 1977.

Great Britain - Royal Institute of Chemistry, 1877-1977
In addition each stamp commemorates the work of Nobel Prize winners.

  • 8.1/2p: Steroids - Conformational Analysis - Derek H R Barton, Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1969
  • 10p:     Vitamin C Synthesis - W N Haworth, Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1937
  • 11p:     Starch - Chromatography - Archer John Porter Martin and Richard Laurence Millington Synge, Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1952
  • 13p:     Salt - Crystallography - William Henry and William Laurence Bragg - Nobel Prize for Physics 1915.
I remember studying the work of the Braggs (father and son) in chemistry and metallurgy, but the other names are new to me. Or is my memory failing?

To see what others have chosen for this week don't forget to check the links at Viridian's Sunday-Stamps-189.


8 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. I don't know any of these .. what a great post .. I did find out about the Society of Dyers and Colourists, which is based in Bradford .. which I found via William Henry Perkin - who inadvertently found the colour mauveine ...

But I enjoyed those .. cheers Hilary

Joy said...

I liked that set of stamps (especially the vitamin c) although all the ones I have accumulated are heavily franked. So unlike today when stamps being canceled seems to be a hit and miss affair.

VioletSky said...

I'm glad you explained what bit of chemistry each of these related to!

viridian said...

I love science stamps!! Good job trying to show abstruse subjects on stamps. Thank you for joining in.

Unknown said...

I can not remember anything of chemistry in school. It was not my preferred subject. But I like also the Vitamin C stamp.

Postcardy said...

I like the "Salt - Crystallography" design best, because the Queen fits with that design best.

Lisa B said...

A nice and colourful set.

Jo said...

Why on earth a stamp for 8 1/2 p? why not 8 or 9 p. Seems nuts to me.

Interesting stamps though. Very colourful.