Pages

Tuesday 22 April 2014

A-Z Challenge 2014 - 'S'


S - Saint Bernard, Scottish Terrier, Shetland Sheepdog, 
     Skye Terrier, Springer Spaniel

I think just about everyone would recognise my first dog, often depicted with a barrel hanging from its neck.

Saint Bernard
Named after a medieval Hospice in the Swiss Alps, Saint Bernards are famous for their mountain search and rescue role.

This one was hoping to be rescued from having to wait outside the entrance to Whitby Abbey in North Yorkshire.

The "Scottie" had a different role and was bred in Scotland as a vermin catcher; the different coloured varieties were often depicted in advertisements for Black and White Scotch Whisky.

Scottish Terrier - Champion Bapton Norman
(1914 Journal of Heredity - author unknown)
And then there was Barney and Miss Beazley two "Scotties" owned by President G W Bush.

Barney holds his first Presidential Briefing
(Photo by Alex Cooney)
If the next dog reminds you of "Lassie", it shouldn't. Lassie was a Rough Collie (see 'C')

Shetland Sheepdog
The "Sheltie" originated in the Shetlands of the North East Coast of Scotland.

The Isle of Skye sits off the West Coast of Scotland, It was there that the Skye Terrier was developed to go to ground after badgers, foxes, otters and rabbits. However it's in Edinburgh that a Skye Terrier has been immortalised.

Greyfriars Bobby in 1865
(Cropped from an albumen print - National Galleries of Scotland)
Bobby spent 14 years guarding the grave of his owner (policeman John Gray) until he died himself in 1872.

Edinburgh's smallest listed building is the memorial statue for him.

Statue of Greyfriars Bobby
(Photo by Michael Rowe, September 2003 - CC BY-SA 3.0)
If you own an English Springer Spaniel then you are sure of plenty of exercise. One of the oldest British Spaniels it was used to flush out or "spring" game birds.If you see it operate in long grass it is easy to see where the 'springer' comes from.

Springer Spaniel
And of course they just love water!

I'm waiting, come on in!
But my all time favourite from over 50 years ago was the Springer that posed for me at my wife's former home.

Major





9 comments:

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I'll bet you're enjoying this A to Z thing :)

Jo said...

Never thought of that, but I think you are enjoying it with all these dogs you took pictures of over the years. I had heard of Greyfriars Bobby incredible devotion.

Kristin said...

I don't think I've had any personal experience with the S dogs.

Unknown said...

Awesome pictures, and awesome dogs. Those little diva dogs crack me up especially when they have names like Ms. Beasley. I read a children's book about Greyfriar's Bobby that had amazing illustrations. Do you have a favorite breed?

Julie Flanders said...

Oh I love the picture of Major! He looks so stately.

Bish Denham said...

Scottie dogs... so cute! 14 years? Greyfriars Bobby was one loyal pooch. Sweet, but also sad.

Lisa said...

The photo you have of the Skye Terrier, Bobby, guarding his master's grave looks very close to my little "Mauxie." A lot of people ask me if he is a terrier, but he's a mix...of Maltese and dachshund! Bobby reminds me of the story of the dog who waited each day for eight years for his master to come home in China. They made a movie of it in the States called Hachi: A Dog's Tale. I like all of the dogs on this post! And see why Major is your favorite.

shelly said...

All beautiful dogs.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. I hadn't known about the lore behind Greyfriars Bobby - but now you've given him a place and a reason and added to my knowledge.

Love all the photos .. especially your special 'Major' outside your love's home - now many happy years behind you ...

Cheers Hilary