Pages

Sunday 10 November 2013

Ships and Boats - Sunday Stamps

I was quite surprised to see how many stamps I had to match Viridian's 'Ships and Boats' theme. I settled on four from different countries.

From the ill-fated Munich Olympics of 1972 there was this:

Yemen Arab Republic
The Olympic City of Kiel was where the Munich sailing events where held. The stamp shows a racing yacht from the 55m class.

There are more yachts on an oil painting from Kalnins on this 1974 Russian stamp.

Russia
It appears to commemorate an event in 1962.

I couldn't let this week go by without showing an old Swedish sailing ship - the Flag Ocean.

Sweden
In South Africa I found this ship commemorating the centenary of the ocean mail service contract in 1976.

South Africa
Hope you like my selection. To see what ships/boats others have chosen be sure to visit Viridian's Sunday-stamps-145.



8 comments:

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

A very attractive selection! I particularly like the old Swedish sailing ship.

Lisa B said...

A fine selection!

Postcardy said...

I don't think of Yemen Arab Republic as a participant in the Olympics or sailing, but their stamp is attractive.

VioletSky said...

Those stormy seas of the Russian stamp are scary (I also was watching a show on shipwrecks last night on tv - *shudder*)

viridian said...

I note that the Swedish stamp was engraved by Slania. Postcardy has made me aware of this artist!
thank you for participating!

Joy said...

The Yemen stamp is very striking. I think the Russian stamp is a painting by Aivazovski who was famous for his stormy sea so I assume the date is the painting but I don't know the significance of the other date.

aw said...

Lovely to see all those sailing boats depicted, Bob. Oddly enough I've been thinking about boats myself as I am writing up a piece about sailing on the Broads (longer ago than I care to admit!)

Jo said...

Lovely ships. Having been involved in the water all my life, I love to see such great stamps.