Sunday, 7 July 2013

Sea Creatures - Sunday Stamps

I had to search quite hard to find some sea creatures to show for this week's theme, but was surprised by what I found.

Canada - Bowhead Whale
The bowhead whale (Balaena mysticetus) is a baleen whale of the right whale family. It is an endangered species which can grow to 20m in length; the thick bodied species can weight 75 tonnes. It is also know as the Greenland right whale or Arctic whale. It also appears on a stamp from the Faröe  Islands.

Norway - Blekksprut
The Blekksprut (Sepiola atlantica) is a species of bobtail squid found in the North East Atlantic Ocean from Iceland, the Faröes  and western Norway to the Moroccan coast.

Greece - Dolphin Mosaic - 1970
This stamp is from the Greek Mosaics issue and shows a Dolphin Mosaic from Delos island, 110 BC. Now how do I find out who the rider is?

For more sea creatures take a ride across to Viridian's Sunday-stamps-128.


Francene Stanley said...

How fascinating. I've never thought of looking on stamps of the world for sea creatures. Visiting from Authentic Bloggers.

Jo said...

How about 'the boy on the dolphin' of myth?

Nice to see a Canadian stamp with a right whale on it.

Hawwa said...

The Greek mosaic is amazing. I have never received letters from Greece until two weeks ago. Now I'm discovering Greek stamps are really great.

VioletSky said...

(I had a tough time choosing which stamps to use!)
That giant squid is a bit creepy looking. But the dolphin rider is a different rendition from the usual!

Marc Latham said...

Cool creatures; good that they're celebrated in this way.

Little Nell said...

I particularly like the boy on the dolphin. I know the story from school (as a teacher) and it's one of my favourites.

viridian said...

I don't know the boy on a dolphin myth at all! But I love that stamp.
thank you for joining in this week.

Maria Kristina Maano said...

The Greek stamp looks like an illustration out of a mythology storybook :)