Pages

Saturday 13 April 2013

A-Z Challenge 2013 - 'L'



My A-Z posts this year are based on my garden – flowers, animals, the birds and the bees, butterflies - with a bit of poetry thrown in. For some letters I am expecting to cheat somewhat – a sort of wish they were here.

L – Linnet, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Lupin, Lily

Hail to thee, blithe spirit!

It would have been easy to find a verse for a skylark but I haven’t seen this bird for years. However a species that appeared in the garden this winter is another that inspired Wordsworth to write:

Linnet
Thou, Linnet! In thy green array,
Presiding Spirit here to-day,
Dost lead the revels of the May;
And this is thy dominion.

Bird strikes are quite common on the windows of our home. 

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
This fellow was a bit worse for wear as a result. At the time I had been surprised to see what I thought was a female lesser spotted woodpecker clinging to a sturdy foxglove in the garden. Unfortunately it flew as soon as it sensed my movement at our lounge window. Then I saw the male bird, stunned on the path beneath the window, which it had apparently struck leaving a small contact outline. Initially its head was hunched in its shoulders, its eyes were closed and its beak gaping open. Over the next three-quarters of an hour it slowly recovered. During this time I managed to get a number of photos including the one above. However when it became more lively and I tried to get one more shot, it clung to the adjacent garden wall and within a few seconds it had gone. Its flight path was straight in the same direction as the earlier female bird.

I still see woodpeckers from time to time in adjacent sycamore trees and even attacking the peanuts not put out for them. You will have to wait for ‘W’ to one of those.


Lupins
My corner thronging with lupins bloom
Today I slouch here, with the dispelled gloom.
Colourful nostalgic thoughts fresh as morning dew
Lupins-- my first love its no one but you!

With the lupins, a single flower competes:

Lily
 The modest Rose puts forth a thorn,
The humble sheep a threat'ning horn:
While the Lily white shall in love delight,
Nor a thorn nor a threat stain her beauty bright.

OK! OK! I’ll acknowledge that my lily is not white so please accept this one instead

Lily
 Poems:
  • To a Skylark – Percy Bysshe Shelley
  • The Green Linnet – William Wordsworth
  • The Lupins Corner Supratim
  • The Lily – William Blake

Photo attribution:
  • Linnet - Mindaugas Urbonas; CC BY-SA 2.5

2 comments:

Jo said...

We used to get bird strikes on our windows in the States. We bought some adhesive bird shapes, not totally clear, but enough to convey a shadow, and placed about four on our windows it stopped the problem and kept the birds safe. Got them in a birding shop.

Lovely pix as usual Bob.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. the woodpeckers are beautiful aren't they .. and they do tend to crash at times - I occasionally hear thuds here.

Love the photos for your Ls ...

Cheers Hilary