Sunday, 3 February 2013

Insects - Sunday Stamps

I have shown butterflies before, so this time I thought I would be different and start with a bee for this week's insect theme,

Mexico - 50th Anniversary in 1969
I failed completely in finding out what this commemorates; Google doesn't recognise A Brisha either, Can someone help? That honeycomb is a fine design.

My second stamp is from Scandinavia.

Denmark - 2008
I haven't found a full translation yet for it's name, which you cannot read on the scanned stamp.
It reads "RÃ¥bjerg Mile - Klitperlemorsommerfugl" - but from that I can deduce that I have posted a butterfly after all.

One of my favourite insects is the dragonfly. One was included in an insect set issued on 12 March 1985.

Emperor Dragonfly (Ana imperator)
This set from Great Britain also included:
  • 12p Bumble Bee
  • 22p Ladybird
  • 29p Bush Cricket
  • 31p Stag Beetle 
 I just have to get my hands on them. 

Meanwhile why not make a beeline for more insects at Viridians Sunday-stamps-108.




13 comments:

Marcie said...

The bee stamp is lovely!

Ana said...

if i got it right, the Mexican one commemorates the 50th anniversary of the International Labour Organization...so a bee is actually a good choice to represent labour :)

Lisa B said...

I have vague memories of a GB stamp with a bee on, but I hadn't seen the dragonfly, lovely design.
Re. the Mexican stamp, I think A. Brisha is the designer.

Bob Scotney said...

@Ana - thanksl that sounds feasible.

@Lisa B - I've drawn a blank looking for him as a designer too.

viridian said...

Lovely dragonfly, I agree. They are lovely to see. Thank you for participating.

Mattias Kroon said...

The Butterfly is a favorite as it often is an inspiration for poems.

VioletSky said...

I like the dragonfly. I also have several butterflies, but I saved them in case that comes up as a theme later.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I love the dragonfly and butterflies, bees too, but my appreciation of insects is rather limited.

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

Butterfly is quite popular choices this week. :)

Willa @ Postage Journal:My Sunday Stamps:Insects

Helen said...

I agree - the honeycomb design is great. It is my favourite of the stamps you have shared. My friend is a beekeeper, and I think they are fascinating little things. Great stamp.

Joy said...

I'm looking forward to when the dragonflies are flying again, pretty stamp. I like the idea behind the Mexican one. The designer is Auturo Brisha (1914-1988). I found a list of Mexican stamp designers on the web, what a thing to find. Designed 46 stamps and mini sheets. Another thing I learnt was he designed the 2nd set of the Mexican 19th Olympic stamps with painter Diego Rivera. Thanks for setting me on this trail.

Bob Scotney said...

@Joy
Thanks for the information, Joy. Now why couldn't I find him!?

Congratulations and thanks to you for making the 5000th comment on my blog.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. I too thought he must be the artist .. but I love these selections ..

5,000 comments - excellent milestone .. crumbs I've no idea!!

Cheers Hilary