Pages

Sunday 9 December 2012

Sunday Stamps 100 Not Out

Congratulations to Viridian for hosting Sunday Stamps 100 times.

To find something appropriate for this I have chosen the Centenary of County Cricket in 1973.

Great Britain - County Cricket
These are two from the set of three; I do not have the 3p stamp. 

The sketches are of WG Grace, the famous English cricketer, who scored 126 centuries in his career.(According to Wisdens, the  cricketers' bible) His first was in his tenth game when he scored not one hundred but two in a total of 224.

Grace was the first to score 100 hundreds in his career; currently he lies 11th in the list of cricketers who have achieved this feat.

Now that Sunday Stamps has reached 100; how long will it be before it matches Grace's highest score?

To see others batting today please go to Sunday-stamps-100

11 comments:

Joy said...

I thought of cricket too, but in the end went in another direction. I liked that set, the sketch says so much.

Lisa B said...

Very nice choice for the theme! I don't follow cricket but did see on the news in the last day or so that Alastair Cook had a new record for centuries in test cricket.

VioletSky said...

I keep trying to follow and understand cricket, but fail miserably every time.

Ana said...

I'll never understand cricket too....probably coz it is not a sport played here, neither it is popular for watching, so we are kind of ignorant about it in general...but the stamps are really interesting! The green on reminds me of those army generals, while the soldiers in exhaustion run their xy kilometer :)

Postcardy said...

I have no idea what a century (or anything else) is in cricket. My impression from the stamp is that cricket must be a sport for overweight people.

21 Wits said...

I always welcome hearing about Cricket- not something I know that much about. Those stamps are really different- I've never seen anything like that over here!

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

what a fun looking stamp!!

My Sunday Stamp: Mickey Mouse

Jo said...

Whenever anyone mentions cricket, Dennis Compton springs to mind. Alastair Cook, didn't know he played cricket?

Love the stamps, great pix of a great man.

Bob Scotney said...

@Jo - Just in case you didn't know currently Denis Compton's grandson opens the batting for England with his captain, Alastair Cook.

Jo said...

No I didn't know, thanks. Alistair Cook to me means Letters from America.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I remember those! I think they're great..

I didn't know about Denis Compton's grandson. Sadly, since my husband died, I've cancelled my Sky sports because I really don't get enough use out of it.