Pages

Tuesday 27 November 2012

Things That Fly - Thematic Photography

There is a bit of a mixture in this post. Some can fly, some have flown and some never have or will. I'll let you decide which is which.

Andrew Mynarski VC, RCAF
This statue stands in front of what was once the Officers' Mess at wartime RAF Middleton-Saint- George.You may read about him at hero's salute

During WWII my elder brother served on aircraft carriers in the Mediterranean and the Indian Ocean.  I do not know where this shot was taken.

Ready for war
The new town (well it was once) of Thornaby-on-Tees has swallowed up the wartime aerodrome but there is a reminder on a roundabout of what happened there.

The Thornaby Spitfire
I wrote about this replica spitfire in a Sepia Saturday post here

I've had a few helicopter trips during my working life but few were as pleasant, or should I say 'nice,' as in one of these.

Air Monaco helicopters at Nice Airport
Despite our expertise none of our machines are as manoeuvrable as nature's designs.

Dragonfly - ready for take-off.
Landing isn't always as easy as it seems even when you have the controls.

Young Collared Dove touches down
It has rained for over 36 hours non-stop where I live in the North East of England; the sun is just breaking through for the first time. However it's still too early for snow so there is no need for the robin to take refuge like this one two Christmases ago.

Christmas Robin
Now it's time for you to fasten your seat belts, take off and fly to meet other fliers at Carmi's thematic-photographic-223.

11 comments:

L. D. said...

Great shots of the fliers and the non fliers.

Unknown said...

What a clever post. Thanks for your comment on my birthday post. I was just checking to see how old you are Sir. You are indeed a fine writer. I was also checking to see if I was a follower and yes I go way back on your list. I must admit I usually just visit on SS but I putting you on my favorites lists just because you are so old and so wise. LOL. Am reading the second book in Ken Follett's Trilogy of the Century. "Winter of the World." It is a complilation of the effects of the century on 5 families from US and Europe. I think you would like it.
Peggy

bj said...

Hi, Bob...I'm bj from Sweet Nothings.
I "saw" you over at Day Lily and when you said you were older than her, I knew I'd met a new friend. I just love ANYone that's older than me. hahhhaa I have a best friend that is one month older and I tell her the reason I love her is because I'm younger than she is. lol

I enjoyed reading your post...very interesting. We live in West Texas and just attended a Veteran's Day celebration at an air museum here. It was so neat...they had a swing band playing '40's music and I got all teary, just thinking of my dad in his WW2 days. Made me really miss him. Saw lots of the airplanes and gliders used during the war..they had a room made to look like their sleeping quarters..
American and German weapons, flags, uniforms and etc. We enjoyed every minute of it.

I am about to become your newest follower and you don't have to follow back if you'd rather not...my blog isn't very interesting to men...cooking, cleaning, thrifting and all that jazz. :))

Jo said...

Nice to see a Canadian statue amongst your fliers. My dad was a pilot during WWII. Stationed all over the place.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Great pics, Bob, and you are right about the dragonflies...they are amazing!
~

21 Wits said...

I just knew you'd bring out some very cool fly birds! Great post- Sorry you felt so sad for Angus McTortoise- I have no say over him though, he belongs to really nice lady who brings him out to the Renaissance Festival as a character for all to enjoy. He does have a facebook page- so you could become friends with him and follow his life!

Gilly said...

Great shots - all of them. I remember Spitfires - and most of the other WWII planes. Good to see they are not forgotten.

and the dragonfly is superb!

dean said...

At first I thought those aircraft were Beaufighters, but they're definitely Mosquitos. They don't appear to be Sea Mosquitos, either, as those had folding wings. As far as I know a conventional Mossie couldn't take off from a carrier (stall speed was high, over 100 kts) so I would guess that these are being transported. Why transport them on the deck of an aircraft carrier? I can't come up with a reason.

Kiwi Nomad said...

I love the combination of things you have here- the helicopter followed by the dragonfly and the dove was a lovely juxtaposition...

Alexia said...

I always enjoy your selections, Bob - these are all very interesting.

The dragonfly is a great capture.

Magaly Guerrero said...

The robin put a warm smile in my heart ;-)