Pages

Sunday 18 November 2012

Geological Giants - Sunday Stamps

My favourite market stall has come up trumps again. This week it was an envelope that caught my eye with five stamps that meet our geology theme.

National Trust - Leicester Centre - FDC Staunton Harold Appeal 24 June 1981
These stamps were issued on 24 June 1981 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the National Trust in Scotland. However only two of the five stamps are covering places there - Glenfinnan and St Kilda.

You can spend quite a time studying the geology associated with the stamps. But if you don't subscribe to science you could walk in the footsteps of giants when you visit Antrim's UNESCO World Heritage Site - the basalt columns that make up the Giant Causeway in Northern Ireland. A simple explanation of how they were created from lava flows can be viewed by following the links to the National Trust  slideshow here

I'll leave you to check out the other stamps  - along with those at Viridian's Sunday Stamps

10 comments:

Helen said...

What a great cover. I had never heard of the Giant Causeway until recently when I found a series of black and white tourist photos from c.1950 in an antique store. What an amazing place it is!
These are all really nice stamps.

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

NICE stamps!! i like the third one...the cliffs!

Ana said...

i wish we had such markets where you could find such philatelic gems! this one is just beautiful - love the colours!

Postcardy said...

I had never heard of the Giants Causeway. Finn McCool is a cool name for a giant.

viridian said...

I like the style of these illustrations, esp. the light falling in the first stamp on the left. My mom has been to Gian't causeway - not me. I hope to someday.
Thank you for participating!

Marcie said...

What a find!

VioletSky said...

that is a busy looking first day cover! I like the sun rays on Glenfinnan.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Ah! I have these as postcards though not the complete set. They look better on the small scale of stamps.

Joy said...

The set looks good together, the style is very harmonious. I nearly did the Derwentwater one for the SS water theme last time, which happens to be the only place of this set I have visited. Must get out more:-)

Unknown said...

Don't remember seeing these, Bob. Great stamps though.