Pages

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Groceries - Thematic Photography

With the advent of supermarkets and out of town shopping centres grocers' shops have disappeared from many villages and towns in the UK. So to remind you of how it used to be I'm posting this shop from Australia.

Date c. 1910
John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland

Interior of Dalton Brothers Grocery Shop in Ipswich, ca. 1910 Grocers and provision merchants situated on Nicholas Street. Well-stocked shop with seating available for shoppers while their orders are being made up. Household goods such as teapots and cooking utensils as well as consumables.

The nearest I could get was a greengrocer's that I have shown before when the theme was vegetables.
Yarm greengrocer's shop
As I refuse to photograph a supermarket I have had to settle for a collection of groceries in our kitchen.


This led to a discussion about just what are classed as groceries. I decided to ignore items like toilet rolls, cleaning fluids, soap - the list is endless and just rearrange the above display with a few new items added.


Now I think it's time to open that bottle of wine while you go off to to the grocery checkout at Carmi's Written Inc. thematic-photographic 182

4 comments:

21 Wits said...

Oh that wine does sound delicious and is that peanut butter in the basket? I'll have some of that too! I really like your 1910 grocery shopping, and weren't though stores like a gathering for folks, where often these days people are too busy on the cell phones while strolling the grocery store ....great collection and it felt like I'm ready to put those groceries away!

Bob Scotney said...

Peanut butter it is, Karen.

Max Sartin said...

Love that old photo of the Dalton Brothers place! And the around the house stuff is looking good too - methinks it's time to go prepare dinner.

Rosalind Adam said...

I hate going to the supermarket but their very existence has meant that local shops don't have the range of fresh foods like they used to. When I was a child I remember walking to the shops with Mum every morning and being served by the shop owner in person. *sigh* Those were the days!