Pages

Sunday 4 December 2011

Universal Postage Union - Sunday Stamps

Last week I put up a first day cover and this week I discovered another that I had forgotten.

  
Universal Postage Union Centenary 1974
 The four stamps issued on 12 June 1974 show methods of transport which have played a part in overseas mail in the hundred years, 1874 - 1974.
  • 3.1/2p - The P&O packet steamer of 1888
  • 5.1/2p - The first official air mail flight from London to Paris at the time of the Coronation of George V in 1911.
  • 8p - An Imperial Airways flying boat of 1937 which was later used on the England-Australia service.
  • 10p -The blue air mail van and posting box first seen in London in 1930.
 To see what others have posted this week don't forget to visit Viridian's Sunday Stamps 47

6 comments:

Postcardy said...

I especially like stamps that have postal history as their subject.

viridian said...

Thanks for sharing!! See you next week.

Joy said...

These were a nice set of stamps, beautifully designed.

Bruno Laliberté said...

I love those first issues, and this is well designed.
:)~
HUGZ

VioletSky said...

I am really getting into these old stamps - and wish I thought to collect some first issue covers.

I didn't get my stamp post up this week but still wanted to see what everyone else had found. See you next week, from the Great White North!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I particularly like these stamps. I have a set waiting to be used on a suitable postcard but so far can't bear to part with them.