Pages

Sunday 11 September 2011

Canada to Central America - Sunday Stamps

I thought I would travel North to South down the continent of North America. My journey came up short as I had no stamps south of Mexico until I visited the local market.

As I was setting out on a journey I chose these stamps to start.
Canada
Stopping off in the USA it seemed appropriate to travel overland with the centenary mail.
US Overland Mail Centenary 1958
I arrived in Mexico on the 150th anniversary of their independence.
Mexico Independence 1810 - 1960
It was the power of butterfly wings that took me to my next stop to a country that became independent as recently as 1981, after having changed its name from British Honduras in 1973.
Belize
Despite using a more modern mode of transport I only made it as far as the largest country in Central America, the one with a coastline on both the Atlantic and the Pacific.
Nicaragua 
If you would like to see more of the continent please visit Viridian at Sunday Stamps 35

14 comments:

21 Wits said...

What a charming little journey you took us through, it felt like being there! Great pick of stamps too! Thanks, Bob

Shengkay said...

wow! awesome collections of stamp!

visting here from Sunday Stamp..

http://www.postcardlover.com/2011/09/sunday-stamp-north-america.html

Postcard Journeys said...

That's a truly nice collection.

Joy said...

The Canadian set are one of my favourites and possibly a much more comfortable ride than the overland mail:-) Thanks for the trip, by coincidence I have the mentioned British Honduras on my post.

Little Nell said...

The butterfly stamps are beautiful. I remember seeing stamps with British Honduras on them in my brother’s stamp album.

Alan Burnett said...

Lovely stamps. Many years ago my brother designed some stamps for the British Virgin Islands which featured carious types of sailing boats.

Postcardy said...

A fun journey using old ships and modern helicopters.

viridian said...

Oh dear I have sent you to the market again. Hopefully you spent pennies not pounds. All great stamps and thanks for showing more than one.
to plan future purchases: South America, then Africa, then Europe.

Maria said...

It does felt like I took a trip to those places. Thanks for the experience courtesy of the stamps you posted.

Julie Goucher said...

What a lovely collection of stamps. I remember having some from Nicaragua in the stamps I gave to a friend 30 years ago.

Deborah said...

Great collection of stamps. I especially like the red Overland Mail stamp.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. stamps do offer so much information - and can be so informative if we stop to look and you're certainly highlighting various aspects - love these linkings down the Continent ... cheers Hilary

Bruno Laliberté said...

thanx 4 the ride!!
:)~
HUGZ

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

And what a journey, in distance and modes of transport, including the very best - butterfly wings.