Pages

Thursday 11 August 2011

Editing Charles Dickens

If you fancy some online editing practice Dickens Journals Online is the place to go. I've signed up for their Online Text Correction Project and am in the process of editing a magazine published by Dickens in All The Year Round in 1864.

The Dickens journals has been scanned and converted to text. The scanning process introduces errors in the text which need correction and that's where volunteer 'editors' are required to sort them out. The project needs to correct about 30,000 journal pages and they are hoping to complete the work before the official launch of the DJO site in 2012 as part of the Dickens Bicentenary Celebrations.

Anyone interested in taking part can sign up at http://www.djo.org.uk.

2 comments:

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

How interesting! I used to correct scanned articles when I worked in a medical school but OCR was in its infancy and at times I felt it would be easier to type it from scratch. I will pop over now and offer my help.

tony said...

I didnt even know such transfer was possible.Looks like you will be busy!